Monday, 3 July 2017

Cosplay by McCall's BlacMagic and Mysstic

Halloween in July?!

Why not? And with these fantastic costume designs you can channel your inner witchy woman! Let's have a look at what McCall's has brought out for the summer. 



BlacMagic
Off the shoulder dress with lacing

This is so Morticia Addams. I thought the peekaboo cut out on the side would be nude but it has a modesty panel insert, which I think most people would appreciate. I like how it has an iridescent sheen to it. I'm not so keen on the fit of the neckline, it looks as though it's slipping down on her. Without having the instruction manual I can only guess at how it's been constructed, but if it does in fact lack adequate structure to hold it upright there's a trick that I learned from my 1960's sewing book to remedy this fit issue - you sew elastic into a catch-stitched channel at the sleeve opening. A great technique for any bateau/off the shoulder neckline. I like this piece, especially with the train, although I must caution that it's not great for parties, one misstep from your dance partner and rriiiiip!



Mysstic
Hooded coat and belt

This is an unusual shape and I like it for that reason, it's very different from any other cloak pattern I've seen from the major pattern companies. The pattern is recommended for use with crushed velvet, you can't get more Goth than that. It has almost a phantom like quality to it, especially with the looseness of the hood and the wide bell sleeves. I could certainly see this with a pair of skin tight faux leather leggings and witchy boots, or a raggedy long fishtail skirt.


Conclusion

Overall these are two rather glamorous costume patterns. They're simplistic in design yet impactful. 

What are your thoughts?

Best,

3 comments:

  1. I love the cape!! Id totally make it longer though. Would be great for ren fairs too. lol I'm too flat-chested to wear the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also too flat chested for an off the shoulder dress, that's why I pad and tape like crazy lol. I agree that the cape probably would look better longer, it kind of looks like a giant green bubble at this length.

      Delete
  2. I really love them both, but that coat is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​